- Return any unwanted medicines to your local pharmacy for safe disposal.
- Remember that medicines not used appropriately can cause harm. Always read the label and leaflet carefully. Do not give your medicine to anyone else.
Wasted Medication - Did you know?
As much as £5.5 million worth of medicines are wasted each year in Devon alone.
This is equivalent to:
- 730 heart bypass operations or
- 1,000 total hip replacements or
- 2,235 knee replacements or
- 10,720 cataract operations
You can help us use this NHS money in Devon more wisely:
CHECK: Look at your supplies - order only the items that you need.
LISTEN: Listen to the advice from your doctor, nurse or pharmacist and take all medicines as instructed on the label.
TELL: Tell your doctor, nurse or pharmacist if your medicines are not agreeing with you or you have stopped taking them.
TICK: Using the counterfoil of the prescription, tick only the medicines you need, and remember, 'tick in haste - medicines waste'.
OPEN: Open your bag of medication whilst at the pharmacy. If you have items that you have not requested, or surplus to your needs for the next month, please return them before leaving.